Sunday, November 21, 2021

Freedom

 As we completed our Qi Gong practice this morning I chose Freedom as the word for today. We choose a positive attribute that we want to develop in ourselves. As we moved to our sitting meditation I choose a reading on Volition as one of the Four Nutriments instead of continuing with our reading of Understanding Our Mind by Thich Nhat Hahn. We’ll return to that book tomorrow, but today I needed this other reading.

As I was practicing guitar I reminded myself I was cultivating freedom. Where in my body could I allow freedom and ease to spread? I also caught myself going into self-judgement mode as I had begun playing through What Is This? without pausing and nourishing my performance cue. Instead I pulled out my emergency cue “Float” to slow down the thought process and let me keep the energy directed towards executing the piece. It worked.

Two other times I found myself wandering towards judgements of people I was in a zoom meeting with. Rather than feed my story of them, I nurtured understanding of their suffering. This is huge. More is needed.

Once I publish this I will get out a couple scores to study before bedtime per my commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment