Saturday, August 6, 2011

Remember Quiet Evenings


 




Lately, just about all of my guitar time has been evaluating a guitar that I'll soon be calling mine.  While doing this I have been mostly playing pieces, enjoying the feel and tone of the instrument.  Tonight after taking a break from playing to do a lie down, I decided it was time to work with something new.

I recalled that earlier in the day, while cleaning out a box of papers and magazines  I came across a sketch of a piece that also had been taped from December of 2009.  The working title was Gratitude and a month later I added the title of Remember Quiet Evenings in parentheses.  This phrase being from one of the sets of Eno's Oblique Strategies, aptly captured the sentiment of this sketch.  Tonight I listened to the two takes I had and transcribed the part that was missing.

I began playing with what I had and the notes began to flow.  An ending still eludes me, but progress was made.  I felt good to work with transcribing which I resist and then to have the piece begin to open up.  For now I'll let go of the sketch and enjoy the remainder of this quiet evening with my novel - Olympus by Dan Simmons.

                          Photo by tj Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment