Saturday, July 20, 2013

New Beginnings Part 2

Windshield Ice 1577


I began my practice reviewing the melody which arose the previous evening.  Doubt surfaced, I was not hearing the magic I heard the night before.  But I have been here before, faced this resistance within me to move forward with an idea.  Playing it again I sensed what drew me the night before.  Moving onto some chord slashes I found at the end of the session, I had a sense that this might be the beginning of the piece.  Using this section I found the chord slashes did lead in nicely to the melody line.

As I continued to play around other ideas emerged and spread.  I was exhausted by a very demanding week at work and the SD card on my recorder was full.  Should I stop and empty the card?  Begin notating on paper?  Or simply continue to play, trusting that the process will continue to reveal and develop.  Of course that nagging little thought kept at me, that something may be lost.  Laughing since if I paused to clean up the SD card or begin hand notation something also stands to be lost.


Better to remain in the moment with what I was playing.  Notes come and notes go, and I just played on.

No comments:

Post a Comment