Thursday, May 7, 2015

Arriving, Leaving and Coming Back

In the practice handed down to me by Thich Nhat Hahn there is a gatha  for meditation:

Breathing In - I have arrived, breathing  out - I am home. 

Because Thay knows we become habituated in our thoughts, words, and actions a couple years ago he changed this to I have truly arrived, I am really home.  How many times a day do I need to come back and find the present moment, only to begin leaving life again by having my attention to my breath, my body or the action I am undertaking waver?

Fortunately I find my way back again, but for how long have I left?  Arriving again, how is it that I miss the leaving?  I must admit there are times when I notice that I'm leaving the present and go about my merry way anyhow.  It really does take a whole village to raise a child and it take a whole Sangha to guide me, strengthen me, and inspire me to come back.   To be right here, right now, truly present is a miracle.

The very miracle of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment