Saturday, May 23, 2015

Cultivate Curiosity

Be curious, not judgmental.
Walt Whitman 

 I've always been intrigued by processes and how things work.  One of the reasons that I went to an Engineering High School, studied Nutrition in college, and then all manner of working to get to know myself and why I do what I do.  Our home is full of books, many of which I have yet to read; and quite a few I've read more than once.  A diversity of albums, cassettes, and CD's line other shelves.  I nurture this thirst for knowledge and appreciate those who share this yearning.

Driving home this afternoon, I thought about an idea for a piece, Grey Mist, that arose earlier this month.  How might I vary what I already have in a way that is outside my norm.  A thought arose about a bass line.  Arriving home, I was hungry so I had lunch.  Doing a bit of research for a writing project I have undertaken I came across an old blog post Stay Curious.  Remembering my idea for Grey Mist, I went to the guitar.


Playing around with the idea, it seems to have merit. Using these bass variations in the introduction I found my way to the main idea.  Now I need to listen to recordings made when I began working with Grey Mist to hear where the piece wanted to go next and hear if this fits the current flow.  Curiosity yields connections that otherwise would not be made.  Even when the idea does not work, it just may take me to the place where I find what does.  I continue to learn to just remain open and explore.  Like the poet said Be Curious ...


Photo by Olin Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment