Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Few Small Steps

In art there are only fast or slow developments. Essentially it is a matter of evolution, not revolution.
Bela Bartok 

I might add that slow development is better than no development. This has certainly been the case for me. Persistence pays handsomely. Day in, day out, I pick up my guitar.  By exploring and  refining my technique and my use of my body, I am finding freedom in my playing. 


And then sometimes the obvious is shown to me. During my Alexander Technique class this evening I was working with a part that I have struggled with for a long time. I detailed some of the work I have done with Dandelion Wish here. While looking at this with David he saw how my right hand forefinger which is the one plucking the artificial harmonic on the 13th fret was slightly off. Tonight when I came home I watched myself in the mirror but realized I could not see my right hand in action clear enough. By moving a few steps closer I found where my right hand forefinger was missing the sweet spot for the attack of this note. A few small steps and clarity is achieved.



I wonder how many other small steps I could take in my life and where they would take me.



No comments:

Post a Comment