Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Few Thoughts on Composition


First we borrow, then maybe even steal.  Are we learning?   While imitation is one path to learning composition, how about interrogation; investigation; sublimation; holding one's feeling and releasing;  or abandonment of it all.

Like playing with blocks, putting one note on top of another, and a few next to those.  A wall formed that is scaled by listening.  A window opened to new forms.  Ear lids moved by waves of sound and oceans of being.  And then we begin again.  Perhaps we question a melody or piece we have known before.  Why does it move in this direction, elicit this response?  What happens if I change a few notes, alter the rhythm?  What happens when I work in a new form?  I change, what else?  Can I allow my feelings to generate a piece of music?  Can I let it all go?  Keep asking questions?

One thing I know about composition - I'll be back at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment