Friday, January 6, 2012

Connected, Happy, and Free

binars1d Ever so grateful for the day job, but the work sure does take a lot out of me.  Fortunately there are the practices that nourish and sustain me physically, mentally, and spiritually.  Without them I'd be either a raving lunatic or dead.  So I practice.

Even with my exhaustion I was eager to pick up my guitar tonight, until I hit the basement that is.  Noticing the tension and tiredness I was carrying, I hit the floor for an AT lie down.  A nice long one, just over twenty minutes.  Contemplating my body and letting go of the unnecessary tension that was clouding my thinking and hampering movement.  I did not want to get up, and as I rolled over to get up, I was tempted to just go to bed.

But I have my goals and one of them is putting myself out there and looking for new music for 15 minutes a night.  I knew I could do this.  And I also knew that the energy inherent in reaching for and taking responsibility for my goal, my wishes, would carry me further.  I began playing Journeyman's Way Home to touch innocence and then began improvising in a pattern of 5/7/5.  The attention required to do this, coupled with the relaxation induced by the lie down, woke me up.  I was connected, happy, and free.  What more could I ask for.  Where would I be without Music?


Art is not what you see but what you make others see.  - Edgar Degas

No comments:

Post a Comment