Friday, June 22, 2012

The Simplest Direction Yet

which way?
Last night I was working on a tremolo piece.  I had turned the metronome down to 56 bpm and then brought it back to 60.  After working at this tempo, I decided to move to 64.  I noticed a slight but definite hunkering down in my upper torso as I began to play.  While pausing, the inhibitory or negative direction "I am not collapsing myself" arrived.  By continuing to gently invite this thought in while practicing, I was very aware of the space above me and around me.  My sense of up was "natural" and easy.  I continued to invite this thought in while watching the NBA Finals and once while waking at night.  So far this is a simple but powerful extension of my Alexander Technique work.

I just received notice this morning that my reserve copy of Missy Vineyards book is in, so I'll be able to explore her thoughts on negative directions further.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard Robert Rickover mentioning that book so many times! It's also my next book on the AT reading list.

    Best wishes for your practice.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacek,

    Definitely work with this book. Just from the first few pages and skipping about a bit, I have tasted the wisdom of her approach. Best wishes for your practice also.

    ReplyDelete