Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stepping Stones

The Mystery. I've been reflecting on the mystery these past few days. The Mystery of Life, the Mystery of Music, the Mystery of my own mind.




Tonight I warmed up and improvised a bit. Worked briefly with Dandelion Wish and then moved on to learning Stepping Stones This piece came out in July and every time I have begun learning it something new comes along. Now this is a problem of luxury of which I am not complaining.

Played through Stepping Stones and quickly saw that the first & third sections are basically in my hand. So I focused on the middle section. After a few fumbled passes at tempo in the beginning of this section, I slowed down.  As Seth Godin said in one of his blog posts a while back " If you do not have the time to do a project right the first time, what makes you think you will have time to fix it?" Works for business projects and learning a piece of music and I am certain for many other processes.

While breaking down this section and practicing it slowy I was able to enjoy the feel of the strings against my fingers and to savour the act of learning. Taking this time now will allow the entire process to be efficient. And then I can move onto learning another piece. A good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment